The House's farm bill is terrible. Here's a quick summary of its lowlights:
- Undermines the national organic standard by making it easier to weaken
- Creates a new office to promote genetically engineered organisms around the globe
- Cuts programs to offset organic certification costs for farmers
- Prevents cities and counties from setting their own pesticide restrictions
- Exempts pesticides from endangered species and clean water protections.
-The SierraRise Team
1. Conaway, Michael. (12 April 2018). "Agriculture and Nutrition Act of 2018." House of Representatives.https://agriculture.house.gov/uploadedfiles/agriculture_and_nutrition_act_of_2018.pdf
2. Brasher, Philip. (18 April 2018). "Farm bill amendments address crop insurance, biotech, broadband." Agri-Pulse Communications. https://www.agweek.com/business/agriculture/4433669-farm-bill-amendments-address-crop-insurance-biotech-broadband
3. O'Neil, Colin. (17 April 2018). "5 Ways House Farm Bill Would Roll Back Protections from Pesticides." Environmental Working Group.https://www.ewg.org/agmag/2018/04/5-ways-house-farm-bill-would-roll-back-protections-pesticides#.WuI4eG4vyUk
4. (14 April 2018). "Draft House Farm Bill: Organic Agriculture." National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition.http://sustainableagriculture.net/blog/chairmans-mark-organic/
Republicans Are Trying to Sneak Through Cuts to Food Assistance on Farm Bill.