Monday, August 28, 2017
If you are wondering how to help those in need after Harvey, here are a few options
Our hearts are breaking for the victims of Hurricane Harvey--the Houston area has now seen an unprecedented amount of rain and flooding, causing several deaths and leaving thousands displaced.
If you are wondering how to help those in need after Harvey, here are a few options:
1. To give to immediate relief efforts, you can donate to any of these local Texas food banks listed in Texas Monthly.1
2. Families with young children, the homeless, and people with disabilities are particularly vulnerable right now. To help affected families, you can donate to Driscoll Children's Hospital and the Texas Diaper Bank. To help the homeless, you can give to the Houston Coalition for the Homeless, and to help with evacuations for people with disabilities, you can give to Portlight.2
3. Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner has also established a local Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund. Here's how to donate online or by mail.
4. To help animals impacted by the floods, you can support Austin Pets Alive!, also recommended by Texas Monthly.
Officials are predicting that the flooding will get worse.3 Many people in Texas have lost everything and it will take years to rebuild their lives. No amount of help is too little or too much.
This is obviously just a partial list. If you'd like to review other options, check out these articles from the Houston Chronicle, Texas Monthly, and the Huffington Post.
Thanks for helping out,
-- the UltraViolet team
1. Here Are Ways You Can Help People During Hurricane Harvey, Texas Monthly, August 27, 2017
2. Here Are Ways You Can Help People During Hurricane Harvey, Texas Monthly, August 27, 2017
Hurricane Harvey: How to help victims of the Texas storm, Houston Chronicle, August 27, 2017
3. Devastating flooding after Harvey will get worse before it gets better, Washington Post, August 28, 2017