- Senator Steve Daines and Representative Greg Gianforte have proposed bills that would slash protections for 29 wildlands in Montana that total around 700,000 acres.
- Representative Rob Bishop has added an unrelated provision to the National Defense Authorization Act, the bill that funds our military, to block protections for the greater sage grouse and undermine conservation of 63 million acres of habitat across the West.
- The House just narrowly passed a controversial Farm Bill that overrides the roadless rule, putting millions of acres of protected forest land at risk for logging.
- Representative John Curtis has proposed legislation attempting to codify Trump’s cuts to Bears Ears National Monument.
- Representative Tom Emmer has pushed to open the headwaters of the pristine Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness to polluting sulfide-ore mining, and he may again try to attach this issue as a unrelated language to “must-pass” appropriations legislation.
Monday, July 2, 2018
5 Harmful Anti-conservation Bills in Congress
Anti-conservationists in Congress are at it again.
Not content with President Trump’s slashing of national monuments, or the opening the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling, they now want to gut protections for wild places all across our country. It seems like they won’t be happy until they’ve exploited every last acre of public wild lands for private gain.
Now they are proposing more legislation to desecrate our wilderness. Here are 5 of the worst bills working their way through Congress: